Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Who is Your Most Recent Unknown Ancestor?

It's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun time and this week I'm accepting Randy Seaver's challenge to:
1)  Determine who my most recent unknown ancestor is - the one where I don't even know his or her name.

2)  Summarize what I know about his or her family, including resources that you have searched and the resources you should search but haven't searched yet.

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post - which I am doing.
My most recent unknown ancestor is #12, my Grandpa's father. Grandpa, Walter Albert Brothers (1876-1964), was born on 19th January 1876 in Attleborough, Norfolk to Elizabeth Brothers (1842-????). He was the last of Elizabeth's 4 children and the only one to survive past the age of 7. Elizabeth never married (formally, that is) and had disappeared from the English census in 1881. England and Wales started registering Births, Marriages and Deaths in July 1837 and the birth certificates of Grandpa and his sibs have no name for their father(s). It is by no means certain that it was the same gentleman each time. I feel that she probably set up house with a gentleman and became "Mrs" something-or-other and her death would have been registered under that name.
My cousins and I have searched extensively for Elizabeth in Parish Registers, Schools, Directories, Shipping Records out of England and into the United States, Canada, and Australia. Nothing! If we ever manage to find Elizabeth we may find some trace as to who her gentleman friends were.
All suggestions are welcome; we are at our wits' end.

1 comment:

  1. Should also have mentioned that I've searched the Criminal records for her. I've a number of rellies that feature in the criminal records but they're on the other side of the family.

    ReplyDelete